Wednesday 7 December 2011

Volunteer work is free advertising

Case in point: http://www.wetaskiwintimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3396594
My recent coverage in a Central Alberta publication. How did I get a comprehensive write up about my company in the paper? How did I reach all these local businesses and area residents? By working for nothing.
As a start-up company, I do a lot for free. (Don't get any ideas about calling for free work now). Why, Megan? Why the hell would you work for free as a start-up who needs the cash? Because it leads me to a LOT of great (paying) work and contracts.
Offering to keynote events, speak to business groups or run workshops for non-profits is one way I get in front of a significant audience of potential clients with my message cleverly disguised as a valuable presentation. When you offer value to others, it shows you know your stuff. So don't just fill your presentations, social media posts and blogs with generic drivel - throw some bones. By demonstrating you can provide actual tips, actual points and actual value, you are demonstrating how you can help their company. Examples are the best form of advertising.
Whether you are a start up, an established business or a mid-size company looking to grow - consider donating time instead of paying for advertising. It works for southpaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment